Sunday 12 April 2015

Night time phenomena......

I thought I'd write a brief piece on the phenomena that is aurora australis. Rather than try and give an explanation of exactly what an aurora is and what causes them I've borrowed from Wikipedia.

Read on.....

An aurora[nb 1] is a natural light display in the sky (from the Latin word aurora, "sunrise" or the Roman goddess of dawn), predominantly seen in the high latitude (Arctic and Antarctic) regions. Auroras are caused by charged particles, mainly electrons and protons, entering the atmosphere from above causing ionisation and excitation of atmospheric constituents, and consequent optical emissions. Incident protons can also produce emissions as hydrogen atoms after gaining an electron from the atmosphere.

So, if you didn't already know what an aurora was, you do now. I think that gives a good brief explanation of how they come to be also.

Aurora do not occur all the time here, in fact it is only in the last couple of weeks or so that they've really fired up. Certain atmospheric conditions create them , it's all to do with electromagnetic activity blah blah...... So when they do occur we tend to have a spate of them.

As this is my first time in Antarctica I haven't had the opportunity to see many, and those that I had seen were quite a disappointment, given the descriptions I've had from repeat expeditioners. Lately though, we have had them night after night. On Friday night at about eleven o'clock one of our guys came into the bar and advised us to look outside.

Finally, it was my time to see the show. I spent about forty minutes outside, in -20 degrees, gazing up at the most amazing light show I have ever seen. If I was to simplify it, I'd describe it as beautifully coloured wispy clouds performing a slow dance across the sky. The intensity comes and goes, but when one fades it's always worth waiting to see what's coming next. After the initial aurora that I was viewing faded, out I stood watching the eastern horizon as I could see what looked like beams of light lifting off the glacier. Kind of like headlights coming over a hill. After ten minutes or so it became more intense and colourful, and gradually spread itself across the sky. It was the most incredible sky I have ever seen. Words simply cannot describe how it appeared. It is just another incredible aspect of this amazing part of the world that I will remember forever.

As I said, words simply cannot convey the beauty. I can however admit that it was a very moving experience for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking tears here. It was one of the most peaceful feelings I've ever experienced. As if nothing else in the world existed at the time. Again, it's hard to put into words.

Credit for the photo's must go to Pete Layt, our BSS and chippie. I managed to get a few photo's of my own, but my camera is somewhat limited for scenes like these that require a longer exposure than the maximum of fifteen seconds that mine offers. I'll also add that a long exposure adds intensity of light to the colours, and what the naked eye sees is not exactly as what the camera records. What you do see with the eye still incredibly spectacular. I will add more photo's to this blog at a later date when I get more from Pete, but in the mean time, enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment